The Charlottetown Fire Department responded to a call at the Delta Charlottetown Hotel today (Aug. 18) following a chemical incident in the shipping and receiving area of the building.
"There was a concern over a chemical mixture for the pool that may have been putting a potentially harmful gas into the air," said Charlottetown Fire Chief Randy MacDonald. "The Charlottetown Fire Department was called to the scene at approximately 1 p.m."
The Provincial Hazardous Materials (Hazmat) Team was called to the scene as part of the Fire Department’s protocol when dealing with chemicals. The chemical involved was Hy-Clor Granular Pool Chlorine. Water and a stabilizing agent were added to the granular pool chlorine to dilute it. The City’s Water and Sewer Utility tested the diluted concentration as an added precaution.
The Fire Station’s Engine 1 remained on scene for two and a half hours to ensure the incident was contained and dealt with safely. Businesses within 100 feet were evacuated as a precaution, but have since returned to normal operations.
City of Charlottetown