Day 6 of Charlottetown Fire Department 12 Days of Fire Safety Campaign
Decorating for special occasions and holidays can be a fun activity for the whole family. Here are just a few tips to consider before decorating inside:
• Keep Christmas trees, boughs and stockings away from lit fireplaces or other heat sources;
• Inspect cords for damage before using an electric decoration. Replace cords that are worn or damaged;
• If using a lighted miniature village, ensure the lights you are using don’t get hot and don’t place the lights directly on a flammable surface;
• Don’t plug more than three sets of mini lights together;
• Consider replacing lights and Christmas bulbs that have been used for more than two seasons;
• When small children are in your home, watch for choking hazards, such as artificial berries, small figurines and packaging from décor or gifts.
These tips are part of the Charlottetown Fire Department’s 12 Days of Fire Safety campaign to raise awareness of important fire safety and fire prevention measures leading into the holiday season.
The 12 Days of Fire Safety campaign was inspired by a similar initiative in Ontario. It will include public service announcements for twelve business days that outline fire prevention and fire safety tips. The announcements will be sent to local media as well as shared through www.charlottetown.ca/news.php and on social media via www.facebook.com/CityofCharlottetown and, on Twitter, @ChtownPE or @ChtownFire.
The daily tips will be shared from December 1-5, December 8-12 and December 15 and 16.
For more information on the Charlottetown Fire Department, visit: www.charlottetownfire.com
City of Charlottetown