Day 7 of Charlottetown Fire Department 12 Days of Fire Safety Campaign
Space heaters are sometimes necessary during the winter months for additional heat and comfort, but the Charlottetown Fire Department has a few tips for making sure you and your loved ones stay safe while using one.
• Do not leave young children unsupervised near a space heater. Teach them to stay three feet away from it;
• Make sure your portable space heater has an automatic shutoff;
• Keep space heaters away from things that can burn such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattresses or bedding. During the holiday season, make sure your space heater isn’t too close to your décor or Christmas tree;
• Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions;
• Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed;
• Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
These tips are part of the Charlottetown Fire Department’s 12 Days of Fire Safety campaign to raise awareness of important fire safety and fire prevention measures leading into the holiday season.
The 12 Days of Fire Safety campaign was inspired by a similar initiative in Ontario. It will include public service announcements for twelve business days that outline fire prevention and safety tips. The announcements will be sent to local media as well as shared through www.charlottetown.ca/news.php and on social media via www.facebook.com/CityofCharlottetown and, on Twitter, @ChtownPE or @ChtownFire.
The daily tips will be shared from December 1-5, December 8-12 and December 15 and 16.
For more information on the Charlottetown Fire Department, visit: www.charlottetownfire.com
City of Charlottetown