Day 9 of Charlottetown Fire Department 12 Days of Fire Safety Campaign
Hoping to use candles as part of your décor this holiday season? Here are a few pointers the Charlottetown Fire Department would like you to keep in mind:
• Remember to blow out candles when you leave the room;
• Consider using LED or flameless candles as a safer way to decorate your home. They look and smell like real candles;
• Do not leave young children unsupervised with lit candles;
• After lighting candles this holiday season, remember to put matches and lighters away, out of the reach of children;
• Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep;
• Use candle holders that won’t tip over easily;
• Keep candles away from materials that can burn and place them on sturdy, uncluttered surfaces;
These tips are part of the Charlottetown Fire Department’s 12 Days of Fire Safety campaign to raise awareness of important fire safety and fire prevention measures leading into the holiday season.
The 12 Days of Fire Safety campaign was inspired by a similar initiative in Ontario. It will include public service announcements for twelve business days that outline fire prevention and safety tips. The announcements will be sent to local media as well as shared through www.charlottetown.ca/news.php and on social media via www.facebook.com/CityofCharlottetown and, on Twitter, @ChtownPE or @ChtownFire.
The daily tips will be shared from December 1-5, December 8-12 and December 15 and 16.
For more information on the Charlottetown Fire Department, visit: www.charlottetownfire.com
City of Charlottetown