The City of Charlottetown is gearing up to ring in 2015 at its Capital New Year celebration, which will take place on Great George Street on December 31.
The free event will begin at 6 p.m. with music by popular Island cover band The Love Junkies. Other outdoor activities along Great George Street will include wagon rides, and performing artists and costumed dancers who will be hula hooping, dancing and throwing POI, a type dance with LED lights. There will be a large screen with a video recap of events and activities held in 2014, Christmas displays, heated seating areas and, throughout the evening, hot dogs and apple cider will be provided. At 7 p.m., the six-piece band More Soul will take to the stage. Inside, at Murphy’s Community centre, there will be bouncy rides, inflatables and other activities for children.
Shortly before 8 p.m., the crowd will be invited to take the historic walk of the Fathers of Confederation to the bottom of Great George Street for a spectacular fireworks display to wrap up the New Year’s Eve celebration.
In order for this fantastic, family-oriented event to take place, there will be some parking restrictions and road closures. The following roads will be closed from 3 p.m. until 10 p.m. on December 31:
• Water Street from Queen Street to Prince Street (with no parking from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.);
• Richmond Street from Queen Street to Church Street (with no parking from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.);
• Great George Street from Richmond Street to Water Street (with no parking from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.);
• Sydney Street from Prince Street to Queen Street (with no parking from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m. from Great George Street to Queen Street);
• Dorchester Street from Queen Street to Prince Street;
• King Street from Prince Street to Queen Street;
If the Capital New Year celebration has to be cancelled due to inclement weather, an announcement will be made on local radio stations on December 31.
For more information, contact the City of Charlottetown Tourism Department at: 902-629-4117 or 902-629-4138.
City of Charlottetown