The Charlottetown Fire Department is urging homeowners, businesses and all other residents and property owners to ensure building exits and vents from dryers, stoves and other heating appliances are accessible and clear of snow.
"In the event of an emergency, exits need to be accessible for occupants to exit and emergency responders to enter. A build up of snow blocking an exit can be a major safety issue because if emergency service personnel can’t reach you, they can’t help you," said Deputy Fire Chief Tim Mamye, on behalf of the Charlottetown Fire Department and its Fire Prevention Office. "A build up of snow can also be a safety issue when vents are blocked. It is a fire hazard and can potentially cause a build up of harmful gases."
The Charlottetown Fire Department and other Island emergency service personnel have recently responded to incidents where carbon monoxide collected inside and created a dangerous situation. The department has also experienced instances where main or secondary exits to a building were blocked, impeding the response of emergency personnel.
"We recognize there is a lot of snow down and not many people enjoy shovelling, but clearing exits and vents is a simple, yet potentially, lifesaving act," said Deputy Fire Chief Mamye. "We encourage everyone to add exits and vents into their snow clearing routine each year and for each snow event. Please be safe."
For more safety tips and information about the Charlottetown Fire Department, visit: www.charlottetownfire.com
Follow the department on twitter at @ChtownFire or on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/CharlottetownFire
City of Charlottetown