The Charlottetown Fire Department responded to a fire at Charlottetown Walmart this morning (Saturday, March 21) at approximately 7 a.m. A vaporizer adjacent to a propane tank had caught fire.
Fire officials and Charlottetown Police evacuated the Walmart and surrounding area as a precaution. The valves to the tank have been shut off and the residual propane in the tank lines is being burnt off. A propane technician is on site.
Though the situation is under control, Fire officials and Police are asking the public to continue to avoid the area until it is cleared by emergency personnel.
The public is thanked for their cooperation, as is T3 Transit for assisting in the evacuation.
City of Charlottetown