The City of Charlottetown is reminding residents to take precautions this Winter to avoid potential disasters.
Here are a few tips for staying safe in the Winter months:
• Wear a helmet when enjoying Winter sports such as ice skating, sledding and skiing;
• Adjust your driving for Winter conditions. Install Winter tires and drive with caution when roads are icy or snow-covered;
• Keep all exits, including doors and fire escapes, cleared at your home or business. Make sure there is no snow or debris blocking escape routes that you and your family may need in the event of a fire or other emergency situation. It is important to have an escape plan that includes two exits so your family can get out quickly if your smoke alarm sounded;
• Watch out for falling snow and ice from surrounding buildings;
• Be aware of property runoff creating ice on sidewalks;
• And ensure there isn’t a heavy accumulation of snow on your deck, balcony or roof that may cause structural damage.
For more tips on safe Winter driving or to learn more about Winter activities available in Charlottetown, visit: www.charlottetown.ca.
Additional information on Winter safety may be found through the PEI Office of Public Safety.
Project & Communications Coordinator
City of Charlottetown