The City of Charlottetown is buzzing with activity for 1864 Week to mark the 150th anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference and birthplace of Confederation. The City’s celebrations started June 10 and will continue until June 15.
With that event, comes some necessary road closures and impacts on parking for safety and security reasons. The following is a list of the scheduled road closures, parking restrictions and temporary closures of the Victoria Park Boardwalk for the period of Friday, June 13 until Sunday, June 15.
• Parking for the Historic Hillsborough River Commons Unveiling at the Charlottetown Event Grounds on Friday, June 13 will be available from Grafton Street only. No parking will be accessible along Water Street. Free parking will also be available in the Charlottetown Event Grounds’ Parking lot. This event begins at 4 p.m. and will end at 6 p.m.
• Kent Street will be closed from Pownal Street to Queen Street on Saturday, June 14 from 9 a.m. until noon. The same section of Kent Street will also have no parking on either side of the street from Saturday, June 14 at 5 a.m. until 12 p.m.
• There will be no parking on the south side of the Brighton Road from Saturday, June 14 at 3 p.m. until Sunday, June 15 until 6 p.m. between North River Road and Queen Elizabeth Drive.
• A small section of the Victoria Park Boardwalk (close to the cannons) will be closed to pedestrians at 3 p.m. until 11 p.m. on Saturday, June 14 to accommodate the setup and teardown of the 10 p.m. fireworks. The closed section will be clearly identified.
• The Victoria Park Roadway will be closed to vehicular traffic from 3 p.m. on Saturday, June 14 until 6 p.m. on Sunday, June 14. The Roadway will still be accessible to pedestrians.
• The access road leading to the tennis courts in Victoria Park will be controlled access, allowing only those using the tennis courts and PEI Potter Studio to enter. This will be in place all week until Saturday at 1 p.m., prior to the closure of the Victoria Park Roadway.
• The general public is encouraged to use the Brighton Road entrance to Victoria Park for parking from Tuesday, June 10 until Saturday, June 14. On Sunday, June 15, this entrance will be a controlled access entrance only for accessible parking, musicians, dignitaries and those using the tennis courts and ball fields. Accessible parking for people with disabilities or limited mobility will be available via the Brighton Road entrance. The general public is encouraged to take advantage of free parking at the Provincial Government parking lots next to Victoria Park, particularly for the Family Day activities from 1-6 p.m. on Sunday, June 15.
• Great George Street from Dorchester Street to Sydney Street will have no parking on either side of the road, from 5 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, June 15.
• A temporary closure of Great George Street at Sydney Street may be necessary on Sunday, June 15 after the church service at the Basilica ends at approximately 11:30 a.m. This closure would only last about 30 minutes.
City of Charlottetown