Showerhead Exchange Program
About the Program
Introduced in 2013, the Showerhead Exchange Program provides Charlottetown Water & Sewer Utility customers an opportunity to exchange up to two high-flow showerheads for ones that have a lower flow rate. Program is available while supplies last.
Follow these steps to receive your low-flow showerhead:
- Ensure you are eligible to participate in the program by reading the Frequently Asked Questions below
- Check the flow on your existing showerhead. On newer models it will be etched in the face or on the side of the showerhead in gpm (gallons per minute) or lpm (litres per minute). If it is not listed, test your showerhead to determine its water usage. In either case, if your showerhead uses 2.5gpm (9.5 lpm) or more, then you are eligible to participate in the Showerhead Exchange Program. Please be prepared to supply the Utility with the flow-rate you've recorded.
- Remove your existing showerhead.
- Bring your showerhead into the Water & Sewer Utility Department at City Hall, 199 Queen St. and fill out a form with your Water & Sewer account number included to confirm you are a Water & Sewer Utility customer. While supplies last, you will be provided with a either a standard low-flow showerhead or a handheld low-flow showerhead in exchange for your old showerhead.
- Install your new showerhead.
How to check the flow-rate on your showerhead:
- Place a bucket under the showerhead or tap.
- Turn on both the taps to full flow.
- Run the water for 10 seconds before turning off, capturing all of the water in the bucket.
- Measure the amount of water captured.
- Multiply this amount by six to calculate the flow rate per minute.
- If you measure 2.5 gallons/9.5 litres or more, you are eligible for the Showerhead Exchange Program
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to exchange their existing showerhead for a low-flow showerhead?
- Any Charlottetown Water & Sewer Utility customer with a Water & Sewer Utility account in good standing
- A valid Charlottetown Water & Sewer account number is required
- Any tenant must request their landlord to apply on their behalf
- The showerhead you are exchanging must have a flow-rate of 2.5 gallons/9.5 litres per minute or more
Are there limits on the number of showerheads that I can exchange?
- Any Water & Sewer Utility customer can exchange up to 2 showerheads
- There are a limited number of showerheads. They are available on a first-come, first-
served basis while supplies last
What kind of showerhead will I receive?
- We are offering two low-flow showerheads options - a standard low-flow showerhead and a handheld low-flow showerhead
- Kohler AWAKEN Showerhead (2.0 gpm/7.6 lpm and 1.75 gpm/6.7 lpm)
- PROFLO Showerhead (1.5 gpm/5.6 lpm)
- DELTA Handheld Showerhead (1.5 gpm/5.6 lpm)
- Kohler AWAKEN Handheld Showerhead (1.5/2.0 gpm/5.6/7.6 lpm)
- PROFLO Handheld Showerhead (1.75 gpm/6.7 lpm)
- Supply is limited and showerheads are available while quantities last
Does the showerhead exchange include hoses and other hardware?
- No, the exchange only includes the showerhead itself
- If you need to replace hoses or hardware you will be responsible for these extra costs and for the installation
What if I change my mind and want my old showerhead back?
- Charlottetown Water & Sewer Utility will keep exchanged showerheads for up to 1 week
- If you decide you would like to change back to your old showerhead, please return the new showerhead, undamaged, within one week of your exchange date and we will return your old showerhead to you
Do I need a licensed plumber to install the showerhead?
- We recommend hiring a licensed plumber to install the showerhead for you if you are not comfortable installing it by yourself or if you run into any complications when removing or installing your showerhead
- The City of Charlottetown Water & Sewer Utility is not responsible for any damages incurred during the removal or installation of the showerheads