Simmons Sports Centre, Outdoor Pool & Sports Fields Master Plan (2012-2022)
About The Project
The City of Charlottetown has retained Sierra Planning and Management, in association with CBCL Limited and consultant Ken DesRoches, to develop a Master Plan to guide future renovations, development and infrastructure renewal at the Simmons Sports Centre.
The Simmons Sports Centre is a 40-year-old facility located at 170 North River Road in Charlottetown. The Complex has a number of existing building constraints due to its age and space restrictions. The Master Plan will present a future-use strategy that maximizes the potential of the site as a venue for community recreation and sports participation. It will provide a comprehensive plan for capital investment in the property over the next 25 years. This may include a range of incremental improvements in the short term, as well as some larger improvements over the longer term.
Simmons Sports Centre Complex Master Plan
The Simmons Sports Centre Master Plan study was commissioned to review the needs of the arena, pool and sport fields as the City of Charlottetown transitions these aging amenities for both the short and long term future.
The Simmons Sport Centre Master Plan was presented to Council on Thursday, April 17. It was received by Council and taken under advisement.
The Master Plan formulated by Sierra Planning and Management was derived from four deliverables:
- A condition assessment of all facilities and fields;
- An assessment of utilization, user profiles and needs;
- Establish a vision for the future of the complex, and;
- Establish short to medium term (1-5 years) and long term (6 - 10 years) strategic direction for development of the Complex.
Upon completion of months of site assessments, stakeholder interviews, online surveys and public consultations, the Simmons Sports Centre Master Plan provides three options for the future of the site:
- Status Quo - repairs and renovations to the arena, introduction of new aquatic element on site in lieu of existing pool, minimal investment in sport fields;
- Renovation & Twinning - repairs and renovations to the arena, construction of second ice surface attached to existing facility, introduction of new aquatic element on site in lieu of existing pool, minimal investment in sport fields, or;
- First Class Complex - decommissioning of arena, construction of community centre complete with offices, meeting space and change rooms, introduction of new aquatic element on site in lieu of existing pool, construction of multi-use turf field, construction of multi-use hard surface pad, and creation of year round passive recreation paths throughout the complex.
To view the Simmons Master Plan, click here
To view the Simmons Sport Centre Draft Plan Presentation - Click here.
To view the Public Presentation Click here.
Simmons Sports Centre
Some of the important goals of the City of Charlottetown in addressing the future opportunities for this facility are:
- To provide opportunities for physical activity through the provision of high-quality facilities and programs;
- To promote health at every age and stage of life, focusing on children and youth;
- To provide venues that enable people to gather to watch local sports, to meet friends and function as community hubs;
- To create facilities that remove barriers to healthy active living so that residents have greater opportunities to enjoy good health and the benefits of recreation;
- To create facilities that support the development of athletes;
- To offer an entire complex at Simmons that will expand existing programs and attract new user groups;
- And to invest in facilities so that it benefits the City's economy through the hosting of team competitions, tournaments and other events.
For more information regarding the Simmons Complex Master Plan project, please contact:
City of Charlottetown
(902) 629 4171